Monday, October 25, 2010

"to advance the gospel"

Philippians 1:12 says, "I want you to know brothers that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel."  Paul was beaten, run out of town, shipwrecked and imprisoned...he endured hunger, homelessness, nakedness, sleeplessness, physical fatigue, and emotional strain...he was hated by many and his heart hurt by those whom he loved.  Yet in spite of this, Paul does not get angry or complain or quit; rather than try to gain pity, he points back to the gospel.  He does not allow his circumstances to overtake or oppress him but sees them as opportunities to advance the gospel.  How convicting is that?
I wish I could say that my life has been like that, that I have the same perspective as Paul, but I can't.  I have horribly butchered so many opportunities to show Christ to those around me - praise the Lord that no one's salvation depends upon my obedience...I'm so thankful to serve a sovereign God who is full of grace and mercy!

1 comment:

  1. Jules....i'm so excited you've decided to join the blogging world!!! woohoo! I look forward to keeping up with you all the more through this :). Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete